Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Grandma Jo

I spent the afternoon with Grandma Jo yesterday.  She was in really good spirits, and was very lucid.  She kept saying over and over again that her doctor appointment was the easiest one she could remember.  Well, she's right, it went really smoothly.  I just reminded her that when she eats well, and doesn't get out of bed without help, all of her appointments would be this easy.

I hated to leave her when our time together was through, but my own family needed me.  I'm always amazed at how easily she can bring me to tears with her sweet words and loving smile.  I was certain that yesterday when I looked into her eyes I saw a piece of heaven. 

She shared with me a special moment from the girls baptism.  She said that after the girls were baptized Madilynn was sitting next to her (it was actually Kiersten, but who's counting) and she held her hand.  I remember looking down the row and seeing the look on their faces and knowing that it was a very sweet moment.  I didn't really understand why until yesterday.  She told me that while the girls were being confirmed she felt that Grandpa Rex was standing over her other shoulder and was that he was holding her hand.  Kiersten was waiting for her turn to be confirmed and noticed that Grandma had a tear in her eye.   Kiersten then leaned over to her and whispered, "Don't cry, Grandpa Rex is here!  I can feel him.  He wouldn't miss our special day."  Grandma said in that moment she knew that Grandpa Rex was really here to see his little princesses make their very first covenant. 

On a lighter note, she also remembered the fall carnival.  She told the doctor twice and every other person in the waiting room that she has more kids that come and visit her than anybody else at Jamestown.  I'm not sure that's really true, but she does have lots of family to surround her.   She also told me that some of her "friends" there are so ornery, they probably have family but that she wouldn't come and visit them either.   Today, I went back and found the pictures of the fall carnival so I could print them up for her and decided to post them while I was at it.   I hope that we have many more moments like these to share with her. 

The girls have gotten really good at getting Grandma ready to go on walks around the duck pond, or down to dinner.  She joined us on the lawn for the petting zoo.   

Grandma's always good for hugs and kisses.  The little kids love to help push her chair and get a ride on Grandma's lap.


 Lots of Hugs and Kisses for Grandma Jo!

The kids enjoyed all of the games, and even the parents enjoyed the prizes the kids won.  It's a lot harder than it looks to get the ball in the hole.




There was lots of good food!
David and Sammy combined all of their tickets to get a fishy!  We weren't sure the fishy would even make it home in one piece.......but it did. 



 
 There was a magic show.  McKenzie and Mike were just a few of the stars from the audience. 
Grandma enjoyed every minute of it. 

 There was cotton candy, and more cotton candy.  Alexis kept Grandma Jo supplied!


One of the most entertaining parts of the afternoon was Matisyn and Sammy having a wrestling match on the lawn.  They had a good time.



We LOVE you Grandma JO!





2 comments:

  1. Hey Becky,
    My great-aunt Helen Hardy is at Jamestown too. She is in the Alzheimer unit. I wonder if your grandma and her know each other? I love reading about your family and what is going on!!! Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviewing this past year. It was fun to remember. Love you

    ReplyDelete