Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Our First Activity Day Activity

Today the girls went to their very first "ACTIVITY DAY'S" activity.  Because it is only held every other week, and they were sick last time, they felt like they had waited "FOREVER" to go.  (Are you feeling the drama yet?)

They haven't talked about much else since Sunday when the activity was announced.  They insisted that we pick them up from school so they wouldn't be late!  (Even with 40 minutes to spare!) 

Dave dropped them off at the church, and they said they wanted to walk home like BIG girls. So we said that was OK.  At 5:20 they still hadn't returned home so I hopped in the car to go and find them.  Sure enough, they were just coming around the corner, a cute little group of pink faced girls on top of the world.  They walked home with Abby and Phoebe.  I pulled over to the sidewalk, and rolled down the window.  They were adamant about walking the rest of the way home.  My heart sank just a little, because they looked so grown up, on the corner chatting with "the girls". 

When the door flung open, the bounced in with excitement.  I couldn't believe the enormous amount of energy they brought home.  All I could think about was the sweet leaders that just tried to teach them something with all that energy bounding around.  (I hope they are all OK tonight!)  Just like after school, they all tried to speak at once.  So I calmed them down and tried to figure out what they had done today.



 After listening at length to each one of them, I'm sure I heard close to every tiny detail of the event.  It's good to know that they are paying attention, even when you might think they are not listening. 

Today they learned about gratitude.  They made cute little necklaces that said THANK YOU!  They decorated little heart shaped boxes that were filled with candy.  I didn't see the candy because it was eaten before they made it home.  They each got a gift bag with several Thank-You cards to write this coming week.  But best of all, a little sheet with the instructions:  How to write a proper thank-you note.   This is the best part because I think it's a lesson every one of us could use.  I can't wait to have them practice.  

Six-point formula to the proper thank-you note:
Learn it, know it, memorize it - and it will never fail you.

1.  Greet the giver - "Dear Aunt Sally"
2.  Express your gratitude - "Thank you so much for the slippers."
3.  Discuss use - "It gets very chilly here in the winter, so I will use them a lot when winter comes."
4.  Mention the past, allude to the future - "It was great to see you at my birthday party, and I hope to see you again soon."
5.  Grace - "Thanks again for your gift."
6.  Regards - "Love, Leslie"

Now get it in the mail. 
They will love it. 
Thank-you note writing is one of the loveliest traditions. 
Let's start a movement to revive a little gracious living. 

WHAT AN AWESOME ACTIVITY DAY ACTIVITY! 

I'm so grateful for inspired programs that help guide and teach our children.  I'm also grateful for the leaders that are willing to serve in callings like these.  It takes a lot of preparation and patience.  I want them to know just how much we love them.

2 comments:

  1. What awsome young ladies they are. Wow they are growing to fast. Miss you girls and be good :-)

    ReplyDelete