Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chicken, Chicken and MORE Chicken

This past week Chicken went on sale at Macey's.  I debated buying the bulk 40lb package because I really wasn't that excited to prepare it for the freezer.  I bought only three 5lb packages that day.  Then, over and over again my thoughts haunted me.  All I could think was, "I should go and get that chicken!"  So on the last day of the sale, Mom was headed home from work.  I happened to call as she was passing Macey's and she was willing to stop and pick some up for me.  It sat in the sub zero (garage) for two days before we had time to get to it.   As a side note, I'm amazed that there was any left.  In a normal economy they would have sold out on the first or second day.  It's speaks volumes of how tight people are these days.
We got a late start that night because I got a crazy idea to clean the garage!  Now the living room is filled with two years of girl clothes, extra linens and craft supplies.  Hummmmm, was that worth it?  Anyhow, after helping me sort clothes for a bit, we got to work on the chicken.  We decided to prep it all the way this time instead of just cleaning it up before we put it in the freezer.  We figured out which part was the tenderloin, and cut up about half of it into chunks ready for the pot!   It took longer than we expected (like that should surprise anyone) but already the hard work has paid off.  From freezer to table is so fast when it's all prepped and ready!

I hope I'm not the only crazy person in the world that would would cut up 80lbs of chicken for the freezer, but I can't resist a sale!  FYI - 80 lbs of chicken doesn't look like much when you pack it in next to a side of beef!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures!! Wish I was there to enjoy the chicken prep with you. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete